- Name: The name of The Association shall be Biggleswade & Hitchin A.A. Ltd (hereafter referred to as ‘The Association’) a company limited by guarantee with its registered office at 52 Chapman Way, Eynesbury, St Neots PE19 2HD.
- Aims: The aims of The Association shall be to provide and continuously improve angling facilities for its members, to promote fair angling, to cultivate good feeling amongst anglers, to protect the rights of anglers and the property of riparian owners and farmers.
- The affairs of The Association shall be conducted by a Board elected at Annual General meetings and consisting of a President, Vice Presidents, Chairman, Vice Chairman, Secretary, Treasurer, Match Secretary, Minute Secretary, Membership Secretary, Night Permit Secretary, Fisheries Officer and up to nine Ordinary or Life Members who must all be members of the Association.
The President and Vice Presidents shall be elected annually.
All other Board members shall be elected for three-year terms with the elections staggered as follows: –
Year 1: Chairman, Treasurer, three Ordinary or Life Members.
Year 2: Vice Chairman, Membership Secretary, Night Permit Secretary, three Ordinary or Life Members.
Year 3: Secretary, Minute Secretary, Match Secretary, Fisheries Officer,
three Ordinary or Life Members.
In the event of a Board member failing to complete their elected term, for whatever reason, a successor will be elected at the next AGM, for the remainder of that term, or co-opted if for less than a full year.
- All members of the Board shall have voting power with the presiding Board member having a second or casting vote.
c) Five Board members, which must include Chairman (or Vice Chairman), Treasurer, Company Secretary and at least one trustee shall constitute a quorum.
d) The Board shall have all necessary power to effect efficient management including the power to make by-laws providing these do not conflict with the existing Association rules.
e) The Board shall have the power to appoint sub-committees, as it deems necessary and to decide their terms of reference and constitution.
f) Any member of the Board other than the President, or a Vice President failing to attend three consecutive meetings shall cease to be a member of the Board of the Association unless he or she sends in an acceptable written explanation within one calendar month of such non-attendance.
g) Board members shall be entitled to free membership of the Association after completion of each year’s tenure of office.
a) Nominations and voting
A nomination for the office of a Chairman, Vice Chairman, Secretary and Treasurer shall be submitted only by a current paid-up member. The nominee and proposer must also have been a member of the Executive Board of the Association during the whole of the 12 months immediately preceding the Annual Meeting, and their nomination must have the approval of a majority of the Executive Board. Nominations shall be in writing and must be delivered or despatched by Recorded Delivery to reach the registered office of the Association not later than the last day of the month as shall precede by two months the month prior to the Annual Meeting at which the election is to be held.
Nominations for remaining positions on Exec Board
A nomination for a position on the Executive board shall only be submitted by a current, fully paid-up member and must be seconded by a similar member and shall be in writing and shall be similarly delivered or despatched to reach the registered office of the Association not later than the last day of the month as shall precede by two months the month prior to the Annual Meeting at which the election is to be held. It shall be a condition of nomination (or co-option) onto the Executive Board, that any candidate shall have been a fully paid up member of the Association for the three years immediately prior to the year of their nomination. It shall further be a condition of nomination, that each candidate shall attend and stand upon the Chairman’s request for recognition at the Annual Meeting at which he seeks election and present to the meeting, their wishes for wanting to join the Executive Board. The Executive Board may (after a ballot within their own meeting) nominate a retiring member of the Executive Board for re-election. In the case of such re-nominated Executive Board members, should they not be present at the Annual Meeting, their nomination shall stand as valid provided that an appropriate apology for absence has been submitted and received.
Rules applicable to election onto the board
Any member who has been subject to disciplinary matters by the club, shall not be eligible to stand for a position on the executive committee for a period of 5 years from the date of the closure of the disciplinary matter
Any member of the board who has resigned their position, for any reason, shall not be eligible to stand for re-election to the board for a period of 5 years, unless at the discretion of the board
Custom and practice interpretation of voting procedure:
(i)Where there is only one candidate for any vacant position. To succeed the candidate must receive the votes of a simple majority of the members present.
(ii)Where there is more than one candidate for any position. To be successful a candidate must secure more than 50% of the total votes cast. In the event that no candidate achieves 51% of the vote in the first ballot, a second ballot shall be held excluding the candidate with the lowest vote in the first ballot. Further ballots shall be held as necessary, each time excluding the candidate with the lowest vote, until a successful candidate emerges
- It is a condition of membership of the Board that each member elected shall share in the work of management, as delegated, or in work on the Association’s waters according to his ability and aptitude.
- The Match Committee will be responsible to the Board, meet regularly, appoint its own Chairman, keep records and, through the Match Secretary, make a report at each meeting of the Board.
- An Auditor shall be appointed by the Board to audit the accounts of the Association.
- No member under eighteen years of age shall vote on any matters.
- A Fisheries Officer shall be appointed at the Annual General Meeting to be accountable to the Board for all issues of fishery management and development.
- Applications for membership or renewal of membership may be made in writing, (enclosing a S.A.E.) to the Membership Secretary. However, the Membership Secretary may make additional arrangements as approved by the Board.
- The annual subscription rates shall be decided by the Board on an annual basis. The rates for the forthcoming year shall be informed to the members at the Annual General Meeting.
- Should the membership of any element of the Association become full, the new members will only be accepted when vacancies arise.
- The membership year is from June 16th to the following June 15th inclusive.
- Association Waters may be closed on occasions, be that via instruction from the Board, or as a result of other circumstances; for example flooding or National travel restrictions etc. These closures will not result in refunds to the Membership.
7. LIFE MEMBERSHIP
The Association may award Life Membership as it deems fit. This will be by nomination to the Board in writing, for its approval, at least eight weeks before the Annual General Meeting and election at Annual General Meetings with a two-thirds majority being necessary to carry. The award of Life Membership will normally be in recognition of exceptional service or support.
All members are expected to behave in a fit and proper manner when their behaviour can be connected with the Association. Any member reported or found to be bringing the Association into disrepute, or causing damage to assets held by the Association, riparian owners or farmers; will have their behaviour considered by The Board, possibly resulting in disciplinary action.
Where an elected board member is deemed to be working against the principles of the club or working to benefit from personal gain, a ballot may be held by the board following the proposal of any two of the following positions, Chairman, Vice-Chairman, Treasurer, Secretary and Membership Secretary along with 3 ordinary board members. A majority vote shall be required to remove the individual form their position on the board
All Trustees, Board members, Ordinary or Life members acting officially on behalf of the Association shall be indemnified against all personal liability for such action under the Association’s Limited status to the sum of £1 of their membership fee.
All monies, securities, deeds, etc shall be normally kept with the Association’s bankers/solicitors, who shall be decided by the Board. All cheques shall be signed by any two of three signatories appointed by the Board.
The Treasurer shall present audited financial statements for the preceding complete year plus a report to date on the current year to the Annual General Meeting and otherwise as directed by the Board.
The Association’s Financial Year shall be from June 16th to the following June 15th inclusive.
11. SPECIAL GENERAL MEETING
A Special General Meeting may be called at any time by the Board, or by a quorum of members representing at least 20% of paid up members of the Association, by giving notice in writing giving 28 days notice through the Secretary.
Only business named will be dealt with and all resolutions will require a two-thirds majority of those present and voting to carry. Any motion or resolution proposing the sale, takeover or winding-up of the Association, shall require the approval of a minimum of 75% of the total membership.
12. ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING
The Annual General Meeting of the Association shall be held between March 14th and the end of April, the precise date and venue to be decided by the Board and published to the membership.
The Constitution and any other Association Rules may only be amended at an Annual General or Special General Meeting. Any proposed rule changes must have a proposer and a seconder, both of whom should be present at the Meeting for the proposition to be heard, and must be submitted not later than the last day of the month as shall precede by two months, the month prior to the Annual Meeting. Propositions will be carried if a majority of two-thirds of the voting membership present approve.
Business, other than that on the official agenda, will only be conducted at the discretion of the Chairman. All members shall be required to be in possession of their current membership book in order to vote
No Board member of the Association may at the same time hold a position with any other angling association, except with the express permission of the Board.